Tuesday, April 04, 2006

Anger at the "Street"

Little babies are not supposed to watch TV. The American Academy of Pediatrics says that kids under 2 should not watch TV. Recently, the gang from Sesame Street released a DVD aimed at babies as young as six months! Here is a full article, complete with what Big Bird and Grover said in their defense. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/entertainment/4876180.stm

I am a big fan of Sesame Street (for the 2+ age group). I thought about going into educational programming when I worked in educational research. I purchased a DVD of Sesame Street clips that focused on numbers and some math. Really great ground breaking stuff. It was done in a really hip cool way that appealed to adults too.

(Look at these guys. Hip.)


If you ever watch and pay attention to an episode of Sesame Street you will notice there is a lot of humor that is aimed at adults, something done by the producers to engage parents in television viewing. There were also a lot of guest spots and parodies to appeal to wide range of audiences: urban, suburban, white, black, Spanish, and deaf (remember Linda).


(Polly Darton)


As a child, I remember being especially excited when select members from the Star Wars cast visited "the Street". It was the ultimate combo.

(R2D2)


Yesterday, at Vince's first check up, I noticed a TV playing with what I think was an episode of Barney. You have got to be kidding me. My child is not watching that nonsense. Kids have to hip to survive these days. I am not suggesting they have to watch MTV (is that still hip?), but there is a middle ground. Social development is as important as cognitive development. In all seriousness, I don't see what Barney is doing as especially helpful to chidren.

Evidently, there are others who don't care for Barney, or should I say "hate" Barney. There is a whole page on Wikipedia on the topic of "Anti-Barney humor", http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Barney_Humor. Warning: some of it is in poor taste.

This video is really great though,

http://www.bofunk.com/video/703/barney_2_pac.html

No comments:

Contributors